Hosts Qatar stand on the point of elimination simply two video games into the World Cup after a 3-1 defeat to Senegal at Al Thumama Stadium.
Qatar are rooted to the underside of Group A with one sport to play and would be the first nation eradicated from the event if the Netherlands keep away from defeat towards Ecuador afterward Friday.
Boulaye Dia (41) and Famara Diedhiou (48) struck both facet of half-time to place Senegal in management as they set about responding to their opening-evening defeat to the Netherlands.
Mohammed Muntari pulled one again (78) with an historic first aim at a World Cup finals for Qatar, however the hosts’ unlikely comeback lasted simply six minutes as Ahmadou Dieng restored Senegal’s two-aim lead (84).
Huge moments within the sport…
- 33 min: Qatar penalty appeals ignored after Akram Afif bundled over by Ismaila Sarr
- 40 min: Boulaye Dia rifled Senegal in entrance after Boualem Khoukhi’s defensive error
- 48 min: Famara Diedhiou’s stooping close to-put up header doubled Senegal lead
- 62 min: Almoez Ali registers Qatar’s first shot on track at World Cup however Edouard Mendy saves
- 67 min: Ismael Mohammed forces marvel save from Edouard Mendy
- 78 min: Mohammed Muntari pulled aim again with Qatar’s first-ever World Cup aim
- 84 min: Ahmadou Dieng restored Senegal’s lead
Senegal go away hosts Qatar on brink of exit
After a World Cup debut to overlook towards Ecuador, Qatar’s enchancment towards Senegal was seen, although they lacked attacking menace in a one-sided first half.
The hosts felt they need to have been awarded a penalty when Akram Afif was felled by Ismaila Sarr within the space, however the appeals had been ignored by referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz.
Qatar had been inside 4 minutes of reaching the interval on stage phrases when Senegal took the lead, Dia pounced on Boualem Khoukhi’s defensive error to rifle within the opener on the close to put up.
Senegal doubled their lead inside three minutes of the restart when Diedhiou brilliantly glanced in from a nook to all however condemn Qatar to elimination.
However the hosts stirred fantastically, registering their first two makes an attempt on track at this World Cup as Edouard Mendy pulled off two advantageous saves to disclaim Almoez Ali and Ismail Mohamad within the house of 5 minutes.
The Qatari stress finally instructed 12 minutes from time when Muntari rose excessive and fantastically headed in his nation’s maiden World Cup finals aim, however the celebrations had been quick-lived, with Dieng restoring Senegal’s two-aim cushion from 12 yards to go away the hosts looking at an early exit.
What does the end result imply?
Qatar’s second defeat on the 2022 World Cup leaves them backside of Group A with no factors, whereas all the opposite groups within the group have three factors.
A win or a draw for Netherlands towards Ecuador, who beat Qatar within the event’s opening sport, afterward Friday will see Qatar turn out to be the primary facet mathematically eradicated from the competitors.
Within the closing Group A video games, Qatar face the Netherlands and Ecuador tackle Senegal on Tuesday at 3pm.
Qatar make historical past – Opta stats
- Qatar have turn out to be the primary host nation to lose two matches in a single group spherical of an version of the World Cup.
- Mohammed Muntari scored Qatar’s first World Cup aim of their second match and from their twelfth shot.
- Qatar turned solely the third host nation to concede three targets in a single group stage sport, after South Africa in 2010 and Russia in 2018 (each 3-0 defeats to Uruguay).
- Senegal turned the primary African facet to beat the host nation at a World Cup; the entire earlier 4 cases of an African facet going through the hosts had seen them lose by an combination 12-2 rating.