It’s unlucky however true: stuffed portobello mushrooms used to get a nasty rap. Being a vegetarian within the early aughts, I used to be typically left with only a few meatless mains to select from when it got here to consuming out. Having chosen my solely choice from the menu, a waiter would inevitably seem with a big portobello cap centered on the plate. No accompaniments or garnishes—only a big baked mushroom. I’d be fortunate if I might swallow a single rubbery, bland chew. For sure, when it got here to portobellos, I used to be scarred. So what’s a recipe developer to do however create stuffed portobello mushrooms which are truly palatable, and dare I say, scrumptious.
The previous few years have seen a mushroom renaissance. From King Oyster to Hen of the Woods, mushrooms have develop into part of the culinary zeitgeist and are a pleasure to eat. In lots of kitchens (my very own included), mushrooms are lauded as a practical superfood and handled like a powerhouse ingredient.
I’ll eat mushrooms any and each means I can. Whereas I’m keen on shiitake or maitake, I’ve not too long ago fallen in love with the earthiness of portobello mushrooms. They’re nice on their very own, including a meaty heft to omelets and pasta, however I’ve transformed to stuffed portobello mushrooms, having fun with all of the deliciousness I can. Nothing conjures up like incorporating new components right into a staple dish, and lots of iterations of stuffed portbello mushrooms later, I’ve discovered the mix I’ll make now till perpetually. One of the best half? You solely want 5 components to prepare dinner up a little bit mushroom magic.
How to Cook Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
I can’t take credit for this trick, but one thing I discovered while making this recipe a few times was that mushrooms, when roasted, release a lot of water. I’m used to sautéing mushrooms in a pan, so I never gave this issue much thought. But when baked on a sheet tray, the mushrooms sit in their liquid and turn soggy.
After doing a little research, I found this method that lets the mushrooms breathe whereas baking on an oven-safe cooling rack. This enables the additional liquid to empty off, serving to the mushrooms prepare dinner via. Recreation changer.
Don’t have an oven-safe cooling rack? I’ve additionally completed this by cooking the mushrooms first stem-side up after which flipping them so that they prepare dinner all the way in which round. Worst-case situation, sop up the liquid with a kitchen towel earlier than stuffing the mushrooms. Belief me: Attempting any of those easy methods will make all of the distinction.
The Filling: Easy methods to Caramelize Onions
Caramelized onions are really one of many gems of the recipe world—scratch that, the meals world typically. The magic that occurs when onions prepare dinner down, getting golden and candy, is a complete treasure. However I received’t lie, I’ve burned my fair proportion of pans within the course of and been left with a couple of sticky, disagreeable outcomes. However after numerous batches, I’ve discovered a technique that will get caramelized onions, in all their candy and jammy glory, good.
- Begin with chopped and diced onions. In lieu of lengthy strands, chopped and diced onions give your stuffing a tastier texture.
- Use a big pan. Bigger than you suppose you want! The onions want room to prepare dinner over direct warmth. For those who pile them in a small pan, they’ll steam and get soggy. No thanks.
- The extra oil, the higher. Beginning with a couple of further glugs helps hold every thing clean and shiny within the early phases of cooking. In case your pan feels dry whereas cooking the onions, add extra oil as wanted.
- Prepare dinner low and sluggish. Keep away from excessive warmth in any respect prices! Cooking your onions at the next temperature will dry the pan and burn your onions. I hold the warmth on low to medium-low and regulate as wanted. It’d take a minute to search out the fitting stability between always stirring and letting the onions sit in opposition to the warmth, however it’s nicely well worth the effort.
- Deglaze with vinegar. I really like balsamic or apple cider vinegar to deglaze the pan as soon as your onions are nearly completed cooking. Slightly splash on the finish will choose up all of the golden bits sitting on the pan. Plus, the vinegar will add a pleasant chew of acidity to the onions that enhances the sweetness completely.
Caramelized onions take a little bit babysitting and a little bit of time. However when cooked this manner, the ultimate outcome yields a lot taste.
Suggestions for Subsequent-Degree Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
So you’ve your tray of stuffed mushrooms. Now what?
I like serving my stuffed portobello mushrooms with a extremely brilliant and acidic salad. Crisp greens with a zingy lemon dressing make for an ideal pairing. For those who suppose your plate might use some carbs, serve a pot of rice alongside. Bread is at all times a scrumptious choice, too.
When you’ve wrapped up your meal, don’t fear about leftovers. Personally, I discover that stuffed portobello mushrooms don’t hold very nicely, however I’ve discovered a tasty resolution for next-day deliciousness. When you’ve got a couple of mushroom caps left, place them on a chopping board, chop, and cube them into small cubes. This consists of the filling, too. Retailer within the fridge in an hermetic container.
The subsequent day, sauté the leftovers in a pan and toss them into an omelet or frittata. Or, make an enormous pot of pasta when you sauté the mushrooms in butter. Add the cooked pasta to the mushrooms with a little bit of the pasta water plus Parmesan for added decadence. With leftover stuffed portobello mushrooms, something is feasible.