By Darin Carter, Coinbase Giving Program Supervisor
This fall, Coinbase Giving launched the Blockchain Breakthroughs Innovation Challenge as a step to boost consciousness about blockchain know-how and make it extra inclusive and accessible for everybody. The objective of this problem was to supply progressive concepts for leverage the distinctive attributes of blockchain know-how to unravel a few of our world’s most outstanding issues. We noticed participation from over 300 groups and heard some unbelievable concepts.
The objective of this problem was to not ask these rivals to provide you with a totally baked resolution, however to incentivize the builders on the intersection of Web3 and social affect to check out many options, share outcomes/progress, and construct a higher world collectively as a neighborhood, with their findings.
The way it labored
- In October 2021, Coinbase Giving and its accomplice Base 11 launched the Innovation problem, in partnership with crowdsourcing web site HeroX.com, on the Next Frontier Conference to focus on how blockchain know-how can drive social affect.
- The Challenge was made accessible to college students and early-career adults from throughout the nation on Base 11’s free membership platform Base 11 Digital.
- In early January of 2022, our material consultants judged the primary spherical of entries internally in line with our innovation problem scoring framework.
- Twelve finalists had been invited to pitch their thought to our management workforce for consideration.
- After a last spherical of judging, Coinbase Giving and Base11 awarded $10,000 USD in prizes to winners which could possibly be obtained in USD, BTC, or ETH.
Successful tasks proposed how blockchain know-how may be leveraged throughout the subjects of renewable power micro-grids, the debt disaster, international useful resource help, smart-contract life insurance coverage, voting fraud, and rather more. The full listing of winners, with extra particulars on the tasks and communities they serve, may be discovered here.
What we realized
- Innovation can come from wherever: Our contributors represented international locations all around the world together with New Zealand, Germany, the Philippines, Argentina, Colombia, and lots of extra international locations across the globe. We’re proud to say that the very best concepts got here from exterior of the crypto business. Our contributors had been lecturers, medical doctors, dentists, psychologists, provide chain employees, neighborhood leaders, and extra trying to share their superb concepts for how blockchain could make a distinction.
- Asking the fitting query may be highly effective: By asking folks from varied backgrounds how blockchain could make an affect, particularly in areas like environmental sustainability, monetary inclusion, healthcare and training, the people who find themselves closest to the issues price fixing are capable of floor concepts on how blockchain may be utilized as a resolution.
- Blockchain actually has the potential to alter the world: As you’ll be able to see from our successful entries talked about above, there are numerous ways in which blockchain can have a optimistic affect on the planet.
The Coinbase Giving and Base 11 groups want to thank the entire contributors on this yr’s Blockchain Breakthroughs Innovation Challenge for their concepts, exhausting work, and time. We’re trying ahead to the following Innovation Challenge and encourage everybody to begin brainstorming concepts to pitch to the workforce.